I eat lunch in downtown Honolulu about once a week with Steve and Megan. We usually fight over where to eat, but one place that we can always agree on is Lucky Belly. This place has been packed at lunch ever since its opened a couple years ago and for many great reasons why. Why do I love Lucky Belly?
- Consistently delicious food. Lucky Belly likes to keep it simple with a small menu, but the dishes they present at every visit are quality. Every appetizer is delivered with thought, excellent presentation, and choice ingredients. The ramen bowls are exceptional with large portions, tasty broth, and come with sprouts, wakame, and egg. My favorite dish is the Shrimp Kim Chee Bowl, and at $12 I think you really get your monies worth.
- The Restaurant and ambience. Breaking away from the hole in the wall Chinatown eateries (which are still dear to my heart), Lucky Belly’s super clean, newly remodeled, urban vibe is definitely a step in the right direction. Not just a spot to grab a bowl of noodles, Lucky Belly is a fun, social place to dine with a great vibe.
- Super friendly service. Every time I go to Lucky Belly, from the time I enter the restaurant to the time I leave, I am serviced by happy friendly staff. The staff is always so accommodating and all smiles.
- Full bar. Great noodles and a full bar?!! This is my dream come true. Lucky Belly has decent beer and wine and also makes specialty cocktails just like any of the nearby bars.
- It’s all in the details. Modern dishes, ground ginger in the ramen, house made kim chee, daily specials, how the staff changes out your napkins and utensils between courses, and French press Illy coffee – these little touches is why I keep coming back.
Lucky Belly is the best of old school meets new school. I am happy to see that this place is usually packed full during peak hours and is also evolving their menu and offering specials daily. Kudos to their success and I’m sure you’ll see me soon for lunch! To read about more of my favorite downtown restaurants click here.